Sunday, November 27, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

We had an early start to our Thanksgiving.  My sister Hilary had informed me that we'd be running the the Turkey Day 5k Thanksgiving morning (you read that right, she didn't ask me if we wanted to do it, she told me we were be doing it)!  Mike, Allison and I had to get up extra bright and early in order to meet Hilary and Brandon to do the run in Downtown Minneapolis. 

Before the run

I only had 1 goal for the run, not to walk at all.  I had done a 5k a couple years ago but I had to walk a bit of it so I wanted to run this whole thing.  I had been using the Couch to 5k running program but had only completed 7 of the 9 weeks before the day of the run.  I was pretty nervous that I wouldn't be able to do it but I was hopeful that my adrenaline would carry me through the last little bit I didn't train for.  
The run started a little slow because there were so many people there so for the first couple minutes we had no choice but to walk...and it took a couple minutes to even reach the starting line.  We lost the boys (and Allison as she was in the stroller with Mike) right away but Hilary and I stuck together.  As soon as we started to run, we didn't stop...and it felt pretty good.  Since this was a fun run we weren't timed so I don't have any idea what our official times were but I think Mike and Brandon finished around 25-30 minutes and Hilary and I finished around between 30-35 minutes.  I tracked the run on my phone and our average pace was faster than what I had been training at, so I was pretty happy with that, and more importantly, I met my goal!  Hilary, thanks for making us do it, we really did have a great time!

After the run we went back to Hilary and Brandon's place to get ready for dinner at my parents place.  We had a great day with my extended family.  I am so so thankful to really truly enjoy spending time with our family, it's always so much fun!

We called it an early night as all of us were pretty tired from our early start!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and got to spend it with their family or friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment