Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Too good to be true

My perfect pregnancy, well it must have been too good to be true. No worries though, everyone is still fine, we just hit a little bump in the road.

I thought I would send a little update to let everyone know what was going and so I could fill everyone in.

I went in to my clinic on Monday morning for my routine check up. At that point I was just under 33 weeks along. Well, the first thing they do is check my blood pressure and I could tell right away that they didn't like the results. They tested, retested, and retested again and the results weren't looking any better. I met with my midwife and she decided that it would be best to have me go on bed rest for a couple days and run some tests. She also decided at that point that as a midwife, it would be best to pass my care over to a doctor. We ran some tests and she sent me home with orders to stay in bed. We then scheduled an appointment for Wednesday with the doctor I had seen a couple times for my ultrasounds, at that point all my test results would be back and we could figure out what the next steps would be.

For the next 2 days I stayed in bed. One wouldn't think it would be that bad but man o man, by day 1 1/2 I was so bored. And honestly, I have no problem sitting at home doing nothing all day but I think the thought of having to do this for the next 7+ weeks was a little daunting. A little daunting yes, but something I would be willing to do to keep my baby growing until it was further along.

Wednesday morning Mike and I went to the clinic and waited (not so patiently) to meet with our new doctor. His nurse came to get us and we could tell pretty quickly that the news we were about to get wasn't going to be the greatest. She took my blood pressure and again, it was too high. She had me lay down for awhile and tested it again and although it went down, it was still too high. The doctor then came in to see us and almost immediately told us that I was going to be admitted to the hospital right away because I had preeclampsia. Not only do I have high blood pressure but my tests showed that I had protein in my urine. Wow, being admitted to the hospital wasn't even on our radar of possible outcomes?!?!

The doctor went on to tell us several of the possibilities of what the next couple days may look like. 1st thing is that they wanted to get me shots of cortisone to help develop the baby's lungs in case it does come too early. There was/is talk of sending me down to Abbott in case I do need to deliver because they have a NICU there for the baby. For now though, I just needed to be admitted so they could keep a close eye on my blood pressure and they could continue to run labs and watch my protein levels.

As of now, things are looking pretty good. Lying down has helped my blood pressure quite a bit. It does go up and down and isn't quite stable but at least it appears to be easy enough to get down. The nurse had me sit in a chair after using the restroom to test how it would be sitting up and unfortunately, it spiked pretty high so it was back in bed for me. The doctor came back to see us at the end of the day and he seemed pretty hopeful. He was going to chat with some other doctors at a couple other hospitals and give them my info as well as continue to watch my BP and labs. He thinks that if it continues to look like it has, he could possibly send me home and hopes to buy us a couple more weeks.

Surprisingly, I have stayed pretty calm and haven't let myself freak out. The staff here has been great about telling me the complications we could face if the baby had to be delivered at 33 weeks and although not ideal, everything would be just fine. We aren't going to have to worry about that though because we are going to keep this baby cooking for as long as we can :)

So there it is! After 33 weeks of such an easy pregnancy we have hit a little bump in the road. I still have faith that everything is going to be great and we are going to have a beautiful baby in our arms...just maybe a little sooner rather than later, but let's hope for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment